Total Pageviews

Monday, April 2, 2012

What I am listening too, watching, and reading.

It has been a while since I have done a movie, music, book review in this space.  I blame school, but that is wrapping up - only four weeks left of the first semester.  I have worked my way through it, but not sure that I should have taken 12 semester hours.  I have signed up for six hours this summer.  Most of the classes from here on out are all electives so I get to take fun stuff like Introduction to Film, World Music, African-American Literature.  I am looking forward to the next two semesters.  Yeah -- I said it!  I am sure you will hear the opposite of that as I progress.


What I am listening to:
Spotify has been my music player of choice on the internet.  Normally I am a Pandora gal.  I love my stations and love to hear what they pick to rotate through my artist stations.  But Spotify lets me be even more specifc.  If you are not familiar, you have to download the player, but then enter an artist and it pulls up all the information on that artist and you can listen to any album, single, or whatever from that artist.  It is a great way to check out new artists.  And I get to listen to what other people (friends on Facebook mostly) are listening to.










So my go to song for a "kitchen jiggle" when cooking or a "chair dance" at work is Wild Ones by Flo Rida ft Sia.  You know that you have seen him here before with Good Feeling.  I can't seem to get enough of his songs.  I like this one too.  He has become a favorite on my Spotify playlist.  Some of you critics might say "his songs sound the same" -- don't care....I LIKE em!!










An album that I can't get enough of is Goty and the CD is Making Mirrors.  The song Somebody that I Used to Know feat Kimbra is a haunting melody and this link will take you to the video.  Many people tell me that they think he sounds like Peter Gabriel.  I don't necessarily hear it (I think they are comparing this video to Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer video) but I am obsessed with this song.  And there are days when it is in my head and I can't get it out.  That will likely be a bad thing when I am sick of the song.




For local music, Curtis and I along with some great friends had a chance to see The Fez at the Englert Theater in Iowa City.  The now hold the record for single day tickets sales at the Englert.  YEAH!  This is the second time Curtis and I have seen them.  They are a Steely Dan Tribute band and are amazing.  "Like" their Facebook page link above and check them out if they are coming to your town soon.  Their next gig is May 12 in Iowa City!

I will keep trolling Spotify and hopefully hear some new stuff and remember some old songs too - like Simply Red - If You Don't Know Me By Now.  Love this song and that is why I LOVE Spotify!

What I am reading:
Still reading school work.  My literature class is having me read Alice in Wonderland - the real one by Lewis Carroll.  I DO NOT LIKE THIS BOOK.  I didn't even like the early movies - only like Tim Burton's rendition with Johnny Depp.  But I am plowing through it and got my assignment done tonight.

I decided that I need to read a pleasure book before I go to sleep.  It helps me unwind and turn off my brain.  At that personal reading time, I have been reading Charlaine Harris.  I started with her first book ever written.  It was okay but she has definitely improved with the years.  I am now working on her book "An Ice Cold Grave".  This is book three in a four book series about Harper Connelly.  It has been an interesting series and read.  I love Ms. Harris and had the pleasure to meet her in Iowa City.  If you don't know her she has written all the books that the HBO show True Blood has been based.  Her books are my guilty pleasures and this series is really more of a mystery book than fantasy.  Although, there is a person who talks to the dead....but otherwise good stuff!   I always like a book that I can't figure out the twist until right at the end.  And these books do that for me.

What I am watching:
Again, due to school, not been watching a lot of anything.  I did go see Hunger Games.  I went to it hopeful that it would be good.  And it.....WAS!  The film makers did a great job translating the book to the movie.  They had to take some of the violence down a little bit for the PG 13 crowd, but otherwise it was well done.  I should have probably posted this above, but am thoroughly enjoying the soundtrack.

But my DVD find this week was Lars and the Real Girl staring Ryan Gosling.  WOW!  It was a cute and poignant movie with many many layers of emotions and acting.  Before this my favorite movie of his was Crazy, Stupid Love.  I wasn't sure when it first started.  But it got better.  It's the story of man living in his brother's garage.  He is very socially awkward - it is almost painful to watch his interactions with his brother, sister-in-law and coworkers.  Then his cubicle mate shows him a website that sells life-size anatomically correct dolls.  These are not your typical "blow up dolls" no way.  Bianca is her name and she is quite pretty.  The story then unfolds regarding his fears and issues surrounding many things like his mother's death, etc.  I encourage you to rent it.  It is worth the 120 minute investment.

And Mad Men started this week!  OMG what are we going to do?  We don't have cable.....We can buy the season on iTunes and it will be downloaded the next day -- so think we are going to do that......but can't wait to see what is happening with Donald Draper this year.  New marriage, etc..........Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment