Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Mother of the Groom Dress Shopping

Many of you know that we have a wedding coming up.  My oldest is getting married to some one that I am so proud to call a daughter - Kara.  They met in college, rekindled a relationship, and are making it official Labor Day weekend in Chicago.  Check out their engagement pictures and their website here.

The last few months we have been doing lots of things - wedding dress shopping (BEAUTIFUL BY THE WAY), flowers, food, venue, pictures, and all the little details that go with it.

------SIDEBAR---------
          If I were to have to do it again - destination wedding or small wedding - big party -- too stressful!

Any way the last part of my duties besides baking 200 cookies (YEP 200 COOKIES FOR THE RECEPTION) is to find a dress for the wedding.  I am not a person that likes to dress up.  I would be happy in sweat pants or jeans.  But I must for one night.  I have had two different "episodes" of dress trying and have not had any luck.  In fact at Nordstrom's in Chicago, I thought that one of the dresses I tried on would be very appropriate in a Medieval War because it felt like chain mail.  

Any way - I am less than four weeks out and Kara said I can't wear sweatpants.  So she, Bailey and I went shopping Saturday.  We went to Dillard's at Jordan Creek.  The dress section had a wide variety of styles, colors, and some pretty ugly selections.  I tried to have an open mind when I went to the racks and before we knew it we pulled about 10 dresses for me to try on.   Now I HATE trying on clothes.  So again, tried to be patient and here we go.  

The first dress I tried on was this bright blue "halterish" selection.  Slinky and very nice, but not my style and I would have had to wear TWO pair of spanx.  So it went to the NO F-ing WAY PILE!

The second dress was a two piece dress.  I loved the skirt.  And it was petite so it was the correct link for me.  The top was a GLITTERY tank with a jacket for cover.  I put the top on and it was like a GLITTER BOMB exploded all over the place.  There was glitter on my skin, in my bra, on the tops of my feet, all over the dressing room.  Any way - I went out for Kara and Bailey to see and they liked it.  I did too.  Except the GLITTER.  This one went into the MAYBE pile - but I was not confident.

The third dress had a scalloped skirt bottom and a tank top with a jacket.  I LIKE IT in spite of the scalloped bottom.  It is a navy color and has a bit of a rhinestoned top.  This one is in the KEEP pile.

The fourth - eighth dresses are not anything to write home about.  I tried them and quickly put them in the NO F-ing Way Pile.

The ninth dress was a cocktail type dress with a really nice petticoat under neath it.  Again, NAVY and has a pleated bottom on it.  The top is tighter and has an off the shoulder type strap.  I am pretty warm to it, but not completely convinced.  I did put it in the MAYBE pile.  This is Bailey's favorite.  

The last dress was a cream colored dress that I couldn't get over my ass, so it went in the NO F-ing WAY PILE.  

I am down to two dresses.  I bought both of them and plan to take one back.








Here is the first choice:  Is a navy blue cocktail length dress that is form fitting and I apologize for the picture - it was taken by a 12 year old -- but I love her fashion sense.  I like the look with the silver peep toe shoes I got.  This is Bailey's favorite and Kiona's (the 12 year old with the amazing fashion sense) as well.  (Although when I asked her "what about for Auntie Rhonda - she said -- Well..(pause......pause............HAHA)
















Here is a better picture of it off me and on the hanger.




















Here is the second choice:

It is a longer more traditional Mother of the Groom dress.  It is navy and I feel more comfortable in this one.  I didn't like it when I saw the scalloped skirt but thought I would give it a try (along with all the other ones I didn't like).  Any way it has beading on the top part and the jacket.  I am not sure I am sold on the silver shoes with it, but I am leaning more toward this one.  Although again I will have to shove all of my self in a pair of SPANX

Bailey thinks this one makes me look like an OLD LADY













Here is a picture of this one on the hanger:
















Tell me what you think. 

I am torn between the two.  I don't want to look like that old Grandma - but I also don't want to look like I am trying to appear younger than I am.  What A DILEMMA!!!  

BRIGHT SIDE -- At least I have a dress........Now here we go ---- let's get 200 cookies made!

3 comments:

  1. I like them both, but think the second one is my choice. Change out the shoes and I think you have a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my thoughts , I know you are dying to hear them :) I like the first one. However I don't think you look comfortable and trust me , it's going to be a LONG day and night and you are going to want to be comfortable.
    The second one is definately more conservative and traditional mother- of - the whatever ish , but you look more comfortable and again comfort is important.
    I also don't think age apporpriate has anything to do with it. You will look great in anything you are comfortable in .
    Also , SPANX is needed anytime you dress up , at least for me !
    All that said , I do think choice #1 was very flattering and fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mother of groom dress shopping also important for the engaged men's ahead of the wedding. Along with the mother of the groom shopping will be more helpful to find the perfect color, design and size of mother of groom dress. For searching the best dress vendors nearby area is simple using the wedding planner iPad app.

    ReplyDelete