Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Random (or are they) quotes that I have heard this week

I love quotes and saying by famous and not so famous people.  I have a wipe board in my cubicle at work that has quotes that I change up all the time.  But this week seems to be a particular week of quotes that have jumped out at me.  Not just jumped out, they have slapped me in the face.

Last night I went to an another amazing concert at the GrapeVine.  Daphne Willis and Korby Lenker - These are two very talented musicians and I once again am so fortunate to get to hear some amazing music here in Central Iowa.  Check both of them out on YouTube.

But Ms. Daphne sang a song and a lyric gave me a little JOLT........."Quit yelling at me from the backyard I'm in the front of the house" - I was like "what did you just say".....and then she sang it again "Quit yelling at me from the backyard I'm in the front of the house"............Daphne, are you talking to me?   But seriously, my brain went into overdrive working out that lyric.

Then today, I am working on my Leadership class and working on the Unit about Followers in Leadership.  This quote "Leave our world better than it was when we came here".  That is what we do when we do victim services work.  What is my legacy?  THAT is my hope "that I leave the world a better than it was when I cam here".  I think I am on my way with that.

Continuing to read through my Leadership class, another one BANGS out of the textbook.  This is an excerpt from Nelson Mandella's famous inaugural speech from 1994.  He was talking to the people of South Africa, but it resounds with everyone.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?
Actually, who are you NOT to be?  You are a child of God.
Your playing small doesn't serve the world.
There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We were born to make manifest the glory.....that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

INDEED Mr. Mandella.  INDEED!


No comments:

Post a Comment