Total Pageviews

Friday, March 16, 2012

Expecting certain things.....

Expectations.  We all have them.  We have them when we purchase something.  We have them when we get to work each day.  We have them in our families and friends.

But what happens when expectations are different for each person in those relationships?  For example, if you have an expectation of behavior from your child and that behavior is completely different than you think it will be.  Conflict ensues!

My biggest disappointments are not in the fact that the people I have relationships with have different expectations.  It is that I have set expectations that are unrealistic.  If I think that a person should act a certain way or do a certain task, why is that their expectation as well.  It has been a hard thing to wrap my brain around.  I usually just get pissed off and away we go with a fight.  But after processing this last event, it isn't fair that I put those expectations on other people.  I can only put expectations on myself.

I can only speak from a point of my experience and my feelings surrounding those experiences.  What I think is communicated and expected (expectations?), is not the same thing that is in my brain.  It is frustrating beyond belief.  And it has led to many, many a foul mood.  SO I can choose to continue down the path of frustration or I can try a different path.  I choose a different path.

1 comment:

  1. Good girl ! I pinned a quote ( well, lots of them ) that says " i choose to be happy because it's good for my health ". So true ( especially for your blood pressure )Send (or text, thats what I really mean) me the date for the girls night and your house party. I need to put them on my calander.

    ReplyDelete