Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Mindfulness

When I say mindfulness I think that most people will have at least a little bit of thought about what I am talking about.  Some people refer to it as "being intentional" or "spiritually focused" or just "paying attention".


When we are not mindful, we can become physically sick, use terrible coping skills, and it can take a tremendous toll on our bodies, our spirits and our relationships.


I was fortunate enough to go to a Women In America speaker series at Simpson College last night.  The speaker was Cheri Maples.  Cheri is a former police officer who has her law degree and a master's in social work.  That was impressive enough to  me, but she also has traveled around the world teaching, learning and sharing the "mindfulness" philosophy.  Her spiritual and mindfulness awakening happened when she decided to attend a retreat with Thich Nhat Hanh.  I encourage you to click on the link and check out his teachings.  I will be getting a couple of his books and slowly start my mindfulness journey.  


Her thoughts and wisdom last night were perfect timing for the place my heart is right now.  It seemed I couldn't write down fast enough what she was saying.  My pen was smoking it was moving so fast.  But more importantly she was speaking to my heart.  As she puts it, my "numb heart" or the "numbing of my heart".  


I consider myself an activist.  I care about the things that happen to people.  The things that happen in spite of the good work that people do to try to prevent them.  But what do we do when our "hearts quiver for social injustice"?  It is really hard NOT to have vicarious sorrow for the suffering.  Her take on that activism was very necessary for me to hear.  Hardheartedness (or is it numb-heartedness) is a symptom of vicarious trauma.  I some times refer to it as being "jaded".  But as she explained trauma takes its toll - physiologically, emotionally, and spiritually.    


When we are not practicing mindfulness we are:

  • addicted to overworking
  • living in fast-forward
  • on a biological roller coaster
  • use dysfunctional coping mechanism that sap the ENERGY OF THE HEART


Check, Check, Check and CHECK!!!!!
The CRAP in your life is the COMPOST of your enlightenment.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that!!!!!!


So the journey begins to practice Mindfulness.  Beginning with "relationship is the litmus test of spirituality".  That if we don't nurture our relationships mindfully, then the rest of our spirit is out of balance.  


So with that:

  • I will develop the art of pausing and refraining - thru meditation
  • I will notice all the ways I perpetuate violence in myself - doing away with negative self talk
  • I will learn to let go - began that process regarding expectations and changing my worry and control patterns all ready.


Her quote that stuck with me regarding how we talk to each other in all of our relationships:  "It is the most important peace work we do.  When I hold on to my opinions with aggression, I contribute to violent energy on the planet."  I KNOW!!!   RIGHT????


So the very most important last thing is SEED WATERING.  What seeds do I water in my self and others.  Are my actions watering........

  • the seeds of kindness?
  • the seeds of doubt?
  • the seeds of trust?
  • the seeds of blame?
  • the seeds of_________?
Watering seeds is about energy flow.  She said - "the energy of the present makes a difference regarding the energy of the past.


So LIFE is LIFE -- it is joyful and challenging; bitter and sweet.  There is nothing to achieve (cause we will never get there) it is just a consistency in our lives.  We have to get away from the discontent of what simply IS!  We offer life signatures that have ripple effects daily.


My goal (and I don't promise that I will achieve it every day, but I will try) is to be MINDFUL.  I will slow down and find JOY.  I will water SEEDS of kindness, trust and joy.


What are you going to do?


Resources she listed:
Real Happiness by Sharon Salzberg


Books and CDs by Jon Kabat-Zinn

The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh


Keeping the Peace: Mindfulness and Public Services by Thich Nhat Hanh

2 comments:

  1. Rhonda,

    In the midst of me sketching out the anatomy of a Traveling Sanctuary handbag I stopped to read your post today.

    I know this may not make sense to you completely but you provided a piece to the puzzle.

    The strap is hope. Hold onto it.
    The inside lining is your source of breath. it is our soul, inner voice, stillness resides here. Feeling are felt here. The flap is the exhale, which gives us access to the inner inhale. Where inner (liner of the bag) and outer (outside of the bag) meet is the Flap or closure which represents mindfulness.

    I just love when it all flows. Haven't been there in a while. Hurts SOOOOO good.

    ReplyDelete