Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Today is about transformation

This post won't be about some magical spiritual transformation, it is about a couple rooms.  I worked on them Saturday and part of this morning.  If I planned it properly, you will all see the "before", "during" and "after" pictures.

Woke up with a sinus headache Saturday morning.  Is good to know that even with the early Spring/Summer I still am not able to sleep with windows open.  ALL CLOGGED UP!  So as soon as I got that moving from my head, I got started on my project.

Painting a room is not one of my favorite projects and this won't be an exception.  However, I LOVE the finished project usually, so here we go.

We are starting with the spare/guest bedroom.  The previous owner had this room as a little girls room.  I love the periwinkle color and there were some "fairy princess" curtains in here.  (I am giving them to my favorite girl ROO - they look like her).  But I think it needs to be lighter.  So going with a grayish-green.  




As you can see it is currently a Purplish Periwinkle color.  Too dark for this small room.  So I picked a greenish gray color.






It seemed to be covering very well.






Then I started to put on the final color and OOPS!  WRONG color!  It was very baby blue (Forgot to take a picture because I was in a panic).  So off to Menards to try again.  This is not a color that I would normally pick anywhere so I was worried that I was going to have an ENTIRE gallon of paint.  I suppose I could use it as a shower gift for someone, but that might not be appropriate gift giving.

The paint tech at Menards gave me the gray that I wanted, told me to bring the wrong one back and they would refund even if I made the mistake.  Yeah!

I had hoped to get a little green in that gray, but I think I like the plain gray better.

So Bailey and I kicked it out and did two more coats and finished up with that room about 9:30.  Been painting for 12 and half hours.  Ibuprofen and a hot shower please!





Here is the finished room.


I am borrowing these lamps.  Now I think I know what I want so a trip to Gordman's is in my future.




Inspired by this print that I won at a church auction many years ago. Now to find some curtains and a few other colorful items for the room.  We are set! 




My next project was a BIG one.  We have a very large family room in the basement.  It is currently "painter primer white".  It is a dark room because there are only a couple small windows in there.  We picked a taupe/beige color and as you can see this room is BIG!  Lots of corners and crooks and crannies and a small bathroom off the side.




We started adding this color called Prairie Dust.  I am very pleased!!!  It warms up this room so much.  Makes it feel less stark. It is still a bit echoey but that is only going to get better when I get items on the walls.












We quickly discover that we think we will only have to apply one coat and maybe do some touch ups.  So I bought too much paint.  BUT.....love this color so we will be using it again in another room somewhere later -- maybe the hallway as well.  But I was not ready to tackle that this week.



Finished bathroom


Zoe finally glad to have HER couch back


Still have that DAMN pole in the middle of the room -- I am thinking a person that knows wood craft *cough* EUGENE *cough* is going to be able to make me a box for that thing.


Still don't have the TV back together but that is on Curtis' list when he gets back from Spencer.



I don't have the wall hangings for this room yet.  We are going to order reprints of pieces that were done for the lobby of SCT by Chad Elliott.  I also am looking for a sofa table to put behind the couch that will have a lamp on it.  So still a work in progress but the BIG stuff is done.  The theme for this room is THEATER.  Those great pieces plus some memorabilia from our days at SCT will complete this room.


Tired, sore, and hands are a mess from this weekend.  A good kind of tired, but I just want to NAP.  But after I take 800 mg Ibuprofen.  But I want to thank Kristin McHugh and Bailey Dean.  I could not have finished this project without their help!  THANK YOU SO MUCH and I owe you!  Kristin call me when you are ready to paint modeling.  I will be there.

Yeah - Sunday afternoon -- REST - that is your purpose today!



1 comment:

  1. Awesome accomplishment ! LOVE the gray too ! I also like that you got the couch moved ! Opened up the whole room. Spending the night in Vicksburg tonight , heading to NO tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete