Total Pageviews

Monday, July 23, 2012

Cherokee - Lake View - Day 2

It rained again last night. Seriously? Woke up to drips in the tent and we all furiously installed our rain covers.

Another night of weird noises, etc - life flight helicopter, katy-did (who knew they were so loud), and the rock band.

What a day! I couldn't figure out why I am so exhausted until I realized what happened as I am writing this blog.

I pull into Lake View at about 9:30. We strategically plan out where we are going to camp (first, second, and third choice) the night before. So I go to first choice. I am met at entrance and the town volunteer says "excuse me you cant camp here. I have 1000 campers coming here. YOU HAVE TO GO SOMEWHERE ELSE (in the capital letter voice)" So I move to the next site, grab the tents start throwing them out of the car. Then another guy starts running toward me. "excuse me you can't park there". Seriously? So I load all the stuff back in car. Go to another spot not in list. The lady says "oh sorry we have 9000 campers here -reserve" So I go around again.

My next route takes me to the high school because I "better go fast or there will not be any space". Starting to panic. Crew will hate me. So I drive around the lake AGAIN! Get to HS and they take me to a spot that doesn't have any shade. Bathrooms are far away and shower is some what adequate. Start throwing out tents AGAIN and it is hot. OMG. Get them spaced out cuz we need lots of room. Then the heat and I mean HEAT kicks in. I am not sure I have ever sweated that much. Took a shower but couldn't tell whether it was sweat or inadequate drying. Oh well. Grabbed a little nap under my umbrella.

About 400 I ventured to downtown and the beer garden because Chad and Bonita were performing. Great sound and of course great song. Can't wait to see them in CR again opening for the Counting Crows!!

Got a great nights sleep. Cooled off when the sun went down. Off to Webster City tomorrow. It is the longest leg of the ride. And 3 riders are doing the 100 mile loop. They plan to leave by 4:00 am. Here we go again with heat!

1 comment:

  1. My sister used to do it. Many stories. She saved a man's life at the communication tents in Mt. Pleasant. He went into cardiac arrest. She did CPR. Saved his life. When she went back to work in Iowa City, he was her patient.

    ReplyDelete