Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Day 7 - Anamosa to Clinton

Our last pack up.  Our last route on this week long bike ride.  It is bittersweet.

Packed up all the items as strategically as we could.  Logistically we have my car - Little Cobalt Claire - 4 seats inc the driver) , we have Wade's truck - Sir Arthur- 2 seats, and we have Erin's car - SONIC - parked in Clinton with 4 seats inc the driver).  So it takes a bit of thinking before we can figure out how we want to pack things up.

Apparently it is tradition to take everything to Grandpa Dale's (Wade's dad) in Des Moines and dump it all in the parking lot to sort it.  So we were prepared to be somewhat organized but otherwise we could sort it then.

So packed and ready to go I headed to Lost Nation.  This tiny town was the middle town today.  Joan and Erin were going to ride from Anamosa to Lost Nation today.  I would pick them up and then we would head to Clinton.  So I followed the caravan again to the middle town and found a somewhat shady place to land and await their arrival.  I am hunkered down in a cemetery without wifi and spotty cell phone coverage.  BUT......I was able to - yep you guessed it - take a nap.  A two hour one at that.  It was really nice and I slept so hard I am sure I was snoring.  Poor neighbors (and I am not talking about those resting in the cemetery either) heard me I am sure.  I slept so deeply that I awoke from a nightmare with a start and a little yelp.  Perhaps those "sleeping" in the cemetery did NOT like my snoring indeed and channeled that energy into my subconscious.....who knows.

Lost Nation was somewhat prepared for the influx of riders, but see the attached pictures of the port-a-pottie lines - YIKES

After they arrived, we loaded their bikes and then boogied to Clinton to meet up with Wade and await the other riders.  Wade had staked out a spot at the DQ close to the end point and we met up with him there.  Again another waiting game for all the bikers to get in.

This week was a first not only for me but for three of our riders as well.  Miles -- Erin's 14 year old son; Joe - her fiancé; and Kelly - Corwin's girlfriend.  I think their experience was great and Joe and Kelly finished the entire ride mile for mile.  CONGRATS!  Miles will do it next time I am sure.  He only missed it by a few miles and that was only because it was the 105 degree day and he got too hot.

So it is tradition that when you arrive at the end town you dip your tire in the Mississippi River.  It is a ritual that many take very serious.  Our riders did it.  See the attached pictures from the crowd waiting to dip.

It was a pleasure hanging with the Nelson Bike Team.  They are an amazing family and I as a mother of grown children know that it is hard to gather everyone once they are scattered across the country (and mine are just scattered across Iowa).  It was so cool seeing them all together as a family (yep even when they are annoyed with each other).  And the symbolism of coming together at Grandpa Dale's does not escape my brain.  I am honored to be included in that tradition.  THANK YOU

Claire the Red Headed Step Child logged over 1400 miles this week.  Jaunting between towns back and forth she did very well.  She carried tents, suitcases, bikes, coolers, and the ever present shower bags back and forth across our great state.  She will forever be dubbed "CLAIRE" and is looking forward to a rest in the garage for a couple days.

I have equated this adventure to child birth.  Ask me today as I am finishing up these posts if I will do this again is like asking a first time mom after 30 hours of labor if she will have another baby.  Hell NO!  But after the sore muscles, rashes, dirty feet, and smelly clothes fade, maybe?  I want to ride.  If I can do 1/2 days that first time riding then I will.  But I know that I will need a road bike and some extra gear that I don't currently have and training, training, training.  So until the painful part of the memory fades from my brain, I think that I will pass on RAGBRAI for the next year or two or three.  But at some point I expect that I will get on that saddle and ride.


Oh - PS -- my leg is 1000% better and I got home last night about 9:00 ish, unloaded my car, took a bath and then a shower.   -- Thanks for keeping up with me on this adventure.  Sorry for any moments of TMI (the leg thing was pretty gross).

No comments:

Post a Comment