Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Day 6 - Cedar Rapids to Anamosa

Woke up groggy this morning. I think we were all in the same boat.  A long night of storms in Marshalltown and then a long evening of RAGBRAI activities last night have left me tired and cranky this morning.  No time to wallow - getting packed up and moving to the next town.

We got most everything packed up and were on the road pretty early this morning.  I drove directly through to Anamosa after a brief stop for gross coffee and plastic donuts.  I keep thinking the pounds will come off quickly on this trip but my eating choices suck, so I doubt it.

The route took the support vehicles through Mount Vernon which was interesting to me since that is the mid town today.  They usually don't want the caravan of campers, cars and tents to come any where near the bikers, but alas, it is a short day today and they brought us through on Hwy 1.  After a long line at the 4 way stop in Mount Vernon on 30, the caravan moved on to Anamosa.  I have never been there before so wasn't sure what to expect.  I thought it was a pretty small town but knew they had a Walmart.  So with map in hand, I ventured around town to find us a campsite.  I started at the Wapsipinicon State Park - -Maybe -- fingers crossed, but nope -- they were full.  So then I ventured to the high school.  Found us a spot tucked in behind the school.  All the requested camping items were present - showers and bathrooms - so began dumping tents.  Got mine all set up and staked out a claim for the rest.

After that was done, I was still tired so I took a nap.  Napping in the sun has been a new experience for me.  I completely avoid the sun if at all possible - fair GERMAN skin - but in the tent slathered with sunscreen it wasn't too bad.  A breeze wafts through every once in a while and that was helpful.

After my nap and shower are done, I got caught up on a few blogs and then yep - another nap.  I must have been really tired.  About that time the first of the riders came in.  They were a good two hours ahead of every one else.   They helped me set up the other tents and as the other riders arrived,  we ventured back to pick up the truck in Mount Vernon.

As you are on this route, the theme is pasta dinners from area churches at each town.  So Joan, Wade, Miles and I headed out to a lasagna dinner at a church in town.  It was great and I think the church should have made a lot of money since they ran out of food with about an hour left on their posted hours.

We then headed to a crowded down town.  Browsed through the expo and bought a T-shirt (Thanks Joan).  The crowds were huge and you could tell that the riders knew this was their last chance to party.  The crowds were getting to be too much so we headed back to camp.

All this week, Erin and I have had a theme for each day.  With that theme there is a drink that accompanies it.  But due to the weather and other issues, we were behind in partaking of the drink.  So it was catch up night.   Unfortunately for the riders, that is too much alcohol so it was a very quick evening and all went to bed.

Tomorrow we head out on our final leg - no pun intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment